What do you do when you see a spider? Roll up some newspaper to squish it? Get a jar and catch it to take outside? You probably don't think about using a torch lighter to try and roast the poor thing.
Well, a fire was caused in Redding, California, over the weekend after a man did just that. Residents in the building were forced to flee and firefighters had to work hard to extinguish the blaze.
Allegedly, the man set the spider on fire. The arachnid then scurried across his bed, which also caught fire, and the flames soon spread around the room onto the drapes and the man's flag collection.
A witness, Lyndsey Wisegarver, revealed that the man was using the torch lighter to kill a particularly large wolf spider. Here's a picture of one of those to creep you out a little:
Redding Fire Marshal Craig Wittner said that an investigation is ongoing to confirm the spider story.
Fortunately, nobody was injured, but the apartment was severely damaged and many residents have had to find temporary housing elsewhere.
Next time, just find a glass and let the little guy scurry off outdoors, huh?
Firefighters clear out damaged items from an apartment fire on Waldon Street in downtown Redding. pic.twitter.com/BTmX8oZQr5
— Damon Arthur (@damonarthur_RS) January 7, 2018